? Nacogdoches Housing Authority

Landlord Information


Advertising and locating property has never been easier!
The Housing Authority has partnered with GoSection8.com, which provides an enhanced program to list rental properties on line. Listings are available to potential Housing Choice Voucher tenants seeking apartment units, duplexes, single-family homes or townhomes in the private market.
To list your property CLICK HERE
If you have any questions regarding registering, creating or viewing property listings, please call the GoSection8 toll free help line at 1-866-466-7328.
It is recommended that Landlords add photos to their listing for better advertising and faster lease up!

Top Reasons Landlords Should Participate in the Housing Program!
The Nacogdoches Housing Authority works with almost three hundred landlords. There are over 1000 families currently receiving Housing Assistance Payments (HAP) to landlords within the Housing Authority jurisdiction (Nacogdoches county Texas). Participation in this program benefits both tenants and owners. Consider the following:

  • You are guaranteed a portion of your rent every month. Nacogdoches Housing Authority will mail a check to you on or around the first of every month, as long as the unit passes Housing Quality Standards (HQS) inspections.
  • Although a federal subsidy is provided for the tenant, the Section 8 program is a private market based program.
  • Rental rates are based upon the local market up to certain maximum limits.
  • You get the tenants whose program eligibility, including criminal background history have been prescreened.
  • Your property is inspected by the HQS inspectors at no cost to you.
  • Section 8 tenants are expected to comply with your lease and can be evicted by you and terminated from the program for lease violations.
  • You may rent to as many or as few Section 8 tenants as you choose.
  • You are helping to provide quality and affordable housing opportunities for families.
  • It's just good business.


What is Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher?

The Section 8 Housing Housing Choice Voucher Program is a federally funded program, which helps families of low income to pay their rent. The family must be determined income eligible before they can be assisted. The family selects the housing best suited for their family's need. The unit selected must meet Housing Quality Standards before a contract can be executed. The main objective of the program is to provide Decent, Safe, and Sanitary housing.

Who funds and who administers the program?

The United States Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) funds the program nationally, while the Nacogdoches Housing Authority administers the program locally.

Who qualifies for assistance?

Families whose income is at or below 50% of the median as established by HUD for the area in which they live are eligible to apply.

What Housing is Eligible for the Program

Any residential unit located in the city or county of the local Housing Authority, provided it is not already government subsidized. It must also meet the Housing Quality Standards (HQS) established by HUD and must fall within HUD's "Fair Market Rent" guidelines. Unit types include single-family, duplexes, apartments, mobile homes, condominiums, or townhouses. To determine if a unit is within maximum rent limit, the landlord may contact the Nacogdoches Housing Authority. The contract rent must be certified as reasonable by the Housing Authority before execution of a contract on behalf of the participating family.

Must I accept all Section 8 applicants?

As mentioned earlier, you are not required to accept all Section 8 participants. We strongly encourage you to screen your prospective tenants carefully. Selection should be based on the same criteria used for rental to an individual in the open market. Title VIII of the Civil Rights Act of 1968, as amended by the Housing and Community Development Act of 1974 states that "It is illegal to discriminate against any person because of race, religion, sex, national origin, or familial status..." in the sale or rental of residential units.

What is my benefit in renting to Section 8 participants?

  • You are guaranteed prompt monthly payments for the Section 8 share of the contract rent. In most cases this amount is the larger portion of the total rent.
  • You avoid the costs of advertising for tenants since the Section 8 office provides an available housing list to prospective tenants who need help in locating a unit.
  • The HQS inspection helps you upgrade and maintain your unit.
  • You are assured of a one year lease should everyone abide by the provisions of the Lease and Contract.

How do I collect deposit and rent?
The tenant is responsible for the deposit to the landlord. The amount of deposit cannot exceed the maximum allowable under state law. It is extremely important for the landlord to collect the deposit. Since disposition of deposit is required within thirty (30) days of a tenant moving out, it is wise for the landlord to maintain a record of the unit's condition at move in.

Once the contract is in effect, the Housing Authority's portion of rent is sent by direct deposit to the landlord/owner approved account no later than the 5th working day of the month. If the tenant has to pay a portion of their rent, it is up to the landlord to collect that amount from the tenant. If for some reason the tenant is behind in their portion of the rent, the landlord must notify the Housing Authority immediately.

Who performs maintenance and management?

The responsibility of maintenance and other services normally provided by the owner, remains with the owner. The unit must be maintained in accordance with HQS. The Housing Authority does not manage property for landlords. It is important that the tenant have a contact person for necessary repairs.

How do I evict undesirable tenants?

The owner has exclusive rights to all eviction proceedings in accordance with state and local laws. A copy of the eviction notice to the tenant must be provided to the Housing Authority at the same time notice is given to tenant.

How are subsidies paid?
All subsidy payments are sent by direct deposit to the owner's designated account after a contract has been executed. The contract will not go into effect unless the unit has passed the HQS inspection and rent has been determined to be reasonable. This program allows the tenant to pay more than 30% of the family's adjusted monthly income. Subsidy amount is usually the difference between 30% of adjusted income and the Payment Standard applicable to the family. When proposed rent exceeds the Payment Standard the HA must determine if the family can "AFFORD" the unit based on HUD's affordability formula. Once the HA calculates the maximum subsidy and tenant portion of the rent, the family will review the calculation and decide if they are still interested in leasing the property. We encourage the landlord to discuss with the tenant their ability to pay, as failure to pay their portion of the rent is cause for eviction. It is a violation of law to accept side payments for rent over and above what has been approved under the contract. 

How do I participate?

Since participation with the Section 8 program is voluntary, a willing landlord only needs to screen and select a certified family. Section 8 certified families shop on their own for housing units in the same manner as anyone seeking rental housing. When certified families approach a landlord that has a vacant unit, they should have a Housing Voucher as well as the Blue Leasing Packet. If the landlord selects this family for tenancy, the Blue Leasing Packet must be filled out by both the tenant and the landlord and returned to the Housing Authority office along with a lease for our review.

Lease Requirements

In order to process the Request for Tenancy Approval (attached form HUD-52517) we must receive and review your Lease Document. The lease must contain information regarding the following in order to be approved.

  • Which appliances are provided by the  landlord
  • Which utilities are included in the proposed rent
  • Term no less than 12 months
  • Information regarding termination of tenancy
  • Late fee structure
  • Signature of both parties executed no later than effective date of lease term Effective date that matches the HAP contract

The Blue Leasing Packet must be returned signed by both parties.
The W-9 form requires TIN (Taxpayer Identification Number) be submitted correctly on the form provided. For individuals this would be as it appears on your Social Security card and for other entities it is your EIN (Employer Identification Number).

Inspection will be scheduled as soon as the above documents have been received and approved.

All required repairs must be made before the unit will pass inspection.
You will need to coordinate with our staff regarding the effective date of the lease!!!!

The Housing Authority is not responsible for any rent prior to effective date of the HAP Contract.



An inspection will be scheduled as soon as possible. The Housing Inspector will conduct an HQS inspection and give the landlord a written summation of any repairs the unit will require to meet HUD specifications. Do Not Be Alarmed if the unit needs repairs in order to meet the standards. However a contract cannot be executed until the unit passes the HQS Inspection. A General Inspection Checklist is provided to our participants to assist them in determining if a unit will meet minimum standards.
If you have any questions call us at (936) 569-1131